Below is a list of questions and tips to think about during Open Enrollment. Use this list to find your needs not just for your budget but also for your health. Once you know your priorities, it becomes clear as to what kind of benefits are right for you.
Top 10 questions and tips to ask yourself before enrolling:
- What is the status of your current health?
- How often do you see a doctor?
- Are you planning any procedures this year that may need supplemental insurance coverage?
- If you already have a doctor you trust, is it in the network? If not, is out-of-network care possible?
- Do you take any prescriptions? If so, are they included in the insurance’s formulary drug list?
- Do you travel often, and would you get coverage while out of state?
- How much can you budget for healthcare?
- Know the lingo-deductibles, HMOs, PPOs, premiums, coinsurance, and much more.
- Know what facility of care is covered and appropriate so when the time may come to use one or the other, you already know whether it’s covered and at what price.
- Check the exclusions and limitations of your health insurance options
In order to get the most out of your benefits it’s important to understand your needs. So ask yourself these questions, research these tips, and find a plan that works for you. By following these tips and answering these questions you’ll become an informed and prepared consumer.